Filing a Complaint

Nursing home abuse and neglect cause tens of thousands of deaths and injuries to vulnerable seniors every year. Nursing home abuse includes physical abuse, sexual abuse, and financial exploitation. Nursing home neglect happens when medical providers and nursing staff fail to provide the proper care or medical treatment that a resident requires. Neglect and abuse can result in debilitating, costly injuries, including bed sores, fall injuries, and pelvic fractures. In some cases, these injuries result in a resident’s wrongful death.

If one of your elderly family members was injured or killed at a nursing home or other long-term care facility for seniors, or if you even suspect that abuse or neglect may be occurring, you should contact a nursing home abuse lawyer immediately to review your family’s legal options. Depending on the situation, you may wish to take action against the nursing home.

One way to protect your loved one is to file a complaint with the state department of health or nursing home ombudsman.

In addition to reporting an injury to nursing home regulators, you may also wish to bring a civil action to get compensation for your loved ones harms and losses. If your family member or loved one was injured due to a negligent nursing home, we encourage you to contact our law offices. Our nursing home neglect attorneys offer a free legal consultation where you can discuss your legal options. 

How to File a Complaint Against a Nursing Home

If you’re concerned about neglect, abuse, or financial exploitation at a nursing home, you are urged to report the suspected violation to your state’s department of health as soon as possible. This will trigger an inspection of the facility. The process of reporting a nursing home is also called filing a nursing home complaint. The following section explains how to report a nursing home in your state.

nursing home abuse lawyer

How to Report a Nursing Home for Neglect

The specific steps for reporting a nursing home violation differ in each state. Generally speaking, complaints are either made verbally over the phone, or are filed using online submission forms. These forms are available on the website of whichever department or division reviews elder abuse reports in that particular state. This agency is usually called the Department of Health, the Department of Health Services, the Division of Health Care Services, or a similar name.

Below you will find an alphabetized list of contact information for the appropriate department or division in each state. You can use this information to report a nursing home to the state where the abuse or neglect occurred.

  • Alabama
    • Phone (800) 356-9596
    • Agency Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)
  • Alaska
    • Phone (800) 478-9996 or (907) 269-3666
    • Agency Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS), Division of Health Care Services
    • Arizona
      • Phone (602) 324-2690 or (520) 628-6965
      • Agency Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS)
    • Arkansas
      • Phone (800) 582-4887
      • Agency Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS), Division of Medical Services
    • California
      • Phone (800) 236-9747 or (916) 552-8700
      • Agency California Department of Public Health (CDPH)
    • Colorado
      • Phone (800) 886-7689, ext. 2442
      • Agency Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE)
    • Connecticut
      • Phone (860) 509-7400
      • Agency Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH)
    • Delaware
      • Phone (877) 453-0012
      • Agency Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS), Division of Long Term Care Residents Protection (DLTCRP)
    • Florida
      • Phone (888) 419-3456
      • Agency Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA)
      • Georgia
        • Phone (404) 657-5726, (404) 657-5728, (404) 657-8939, or (800) 878-6442
        • Agency Georgia Department of Community Health (DCH)
      • Hawaii
        • Phone (808) 586-7268 or (808) 692-7420
        • Agency Office of Health Care Assurance (OHCA)
      • Idaho
        • Phone (208) 334-6626
        • Agency Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
      • Illinois
        • Phone (800) 252-4343
        • Agency Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
      • Indiana
        • Phone (800) 246-8909
        • Agency Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH)
        • Iowa
          • Phone (877) 686-0027
          • Agency Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS)
        • Kansas
          • Phone (800) 842-0078
          • Agency Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services (KDADS)
        • Kentucky
          • Phone (502) 564-7963 or (877) 597-2331
          • Agency Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS)
        • Louisiana
          • Phone (888) 810-1819
          • Agency Louisiana Department of Health (LDH)
        • Maine
          • Phone (800) 791-4080 or (800) 383-2441
          • Agency Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Division of Licensing and Regulatory Services (DLRS)
        • Maryland
          • Phone (877) 402-8219
          • Agency Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH)
          • Massachusetts
            • Phone (617) 753-8150 or (800) 462-5540
            • Agency Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS), Department of Health and Human Services
          • Michigan
            • Phone (800) 882-6006
            • Agency Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
            • Minnesota
              • Phone (800) 369-7994
              • Agency Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Health Facility Complaints (OHFC)
            • Mississippi
              • Phone (800) 227-7308 or (844) 437-6282
              • Agency Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH)
            • Missouri
              • Phone (573) 751-6303
              • Agency Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
            • Montana
              • Phone (406) 444-2037 or (406) 444-2099
              • Agency Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS)
            • Nebraska
              • Phone (402) 471-0316
              • Agency Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
            • Nevada
              • Phone (775) 684-1030 or (702) 486-3587
              • Agency Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH)
              • New Hampshire
                • Phone (603) 271-9039 or (603) 271-9058
                • Agency New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
              • New Jersey
                • Phone (877) 582-6995
                • Agency State of New Jersey Office of the Ombudsman for the Institutionalized Elderly
              • New Mexico
                • Phone (800) 752-8649
                • Agency New Mexico Department of Health, Division of Health Improvement (DHI)
              • New York
                • Phone (888) 201-4563
                • Agency New York State Department of Health
                • North Carolina
                  • Phone (800) 624-3004
                  • Agency North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), Division of Health Service Regulation
                • North Dakota
                  • Phone (855) 462-5465 or (701) 328-2352
                  • Agency North Dakota Department of Human Services, Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
                • Ohio
                  • Phone (800) 342-0553
                  • Agency Ohio Department of Health (ODH), Bureau of Long Term Care, Complaint Unit
                  • Oklahoma
                    • Phone (405) 271-6868 or (800) 747-8419
                    • Agency Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH)
                    • Oregon
                      • Phone (503) 947-5121 or (800) 522-2602
                      • Agency Oregon Department of Human Services, Seniors and People with Disabilities
                    • Pennsylvania
                      • Phone (800) 254-5164
                      • Agency Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH)
                    • Rhode Island
                      • Phone (401) 222-5200
                      • Agency State of Rhode Island Department of Health
                    • South Carolina
                      • Phone (803) 545-4370
                      • Agency South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC)
                      • South Dakota
                        • Phone (800) 738-2301 or (605) 773-6743
                        • Agency South Dakota Department of Health (DOH), Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure and Certification
                        • Tennessee
                          • Phone (877) 287-0010
                          • Agency Tennessee Department of Health
                        • Texas
                          • Phone (800) 458-9858, option 2
                          • Agency Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS)
                        • Utah
                          • Phone (800) 662-4157
                          • Agency Utah Department of Health, Bureau of Health Facility Licensing and Certification
                        • Vermont
                          • Phone (800) 564-1612
                          • Agency Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living (DAIL), Division of Licensing and Protection (DLP)
                        • Virginia
                          • Phone (800) 955-1819
                          • Agency Virginia Department of Health, Office of Licensure and Certification (OLC), Complaint Unit
                        • Washington
                          • Phone (800) 737-0617
                          • Agency Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS)
                        • Washington, D.C.
                          • Phone (202) 442-5833
                          • Agency Department of Human Services (DHS), Adult Protective Services (APS)
                          • West Virginia
                            • Phone (304) 558-0050
                            • Agency West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification (OHFLAC)
                          • Wisconsin
                            • Phone (800) 642-6552
                            • Agency Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), Division of Quality Assurance (DQA)
                          • Wyoming
                            • Phone (307) 777-7123 or (866) 571-0944
                            • Agency Wyoming Department of Health, Healthcare Licensing and Surveys (HLS)

                          The contact information above is current as of April 2017, but is subject to change in the future. You can find current information for nursing home complaints in each state listed on the official Medicare website.

                          nursing home attorneys

                          What is the Long-Term Care Ombudsmen Program?

                          In addition to reporting the facility to your state’s Department of Health or related department, you can also report the facility to your Ombudsman. For example, if you live in Pennsylvania, you could report the nursing home to both the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Pennsylvania Department on Aging through its Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program.

                          The key functions of Ombudsmen Programs are to provide information and assist with nursing home complaints. Ombudsmen Programs are administered by the U.S. Administration on Aging (AoA), and are primarily run by volunteers who have been certified to handle nursing home complaints. In some states, like New Jersey, the Ombudsman Program is the first point of contact for filing a complaint against a nursing home.

                          Reasons to Sue a Nursing Home

                          Filing a complaint against a nursing home has several benefits. It draws attention to the facility, opens an investigation, and may result in the facility being fined if a violation was committed. Additionally, violation reports are published on Medicare’s nursing home database, which is accessible through Medicare Nursing Home Compare. In that regard, reports and investigations can ultimately make nursing homes safer for everyone by increasing transparency.

                          However, it’s important to reiterate that reporting a nursing home violation is not the same as suing a nursing home. If you are seeking compensation for personal injury or wrongful death of an elderly loved one, you should speak with a nursing home abuse attorney about getting legal help. It is in your best interests to avoid the sample personal injury complaint forms that are available for download from the internet, and to let an experienced lawyer represent you against the nursing home’s legal team.

                          It may be appropriate to sue a nursing home for any of the following reasons:

                          • Bed sores and pressure ulcers which formed or were improperly treated
                          • Nursing home fall that causes serious injury
                          • Injuries and Infections caused by neglect
                          • Sexual abuse
                          • Wrongful death caused by nursing home neglect
                          • Wrongful death caused by nursing home abuse

                          Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers for Seniors

                          Brent WieandÊis an advocate for senior citizens. We fight to ensure that nursing homes provide proper care and safe environments in which senior citizens can thrive. When the residents of nursing homes, assisted living facilities, residential care homes, or rehabilitation centers are abused or neglected by care workers, our attorneys can step in to advocate for justice and pursue compensation for their losses. To discuss a claim for personal injuries in a free legal consultation, contact our law offices.