Rehabilitation centers promise quality care and compassionate treatment for seniors who are trying to recover from injuries, strokes, and other medical conditions. Unfortunately, the reality for these patients can be very different. Like residents of nursing homes and assisted living communities, elderly patients in rehabilitation centers frequently suffer physical abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect by the very caregivers who are supposed to support and assist them. This can lead to physical injury, emotional trauma, financial devastation, and even wrongful death.
We represent seniors and their loved ones in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits against negligent rehabilitation facilities for the elderly. Handling cases throughout the United States, our accomplished team of personal injury attorneys has the skill, the knowledge, and the resources to hold rehab centers accountable for their negligence. We can work to recover compensation on your elderly loved one’s behalf, including compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses. To talk about your rehab center abuse claim in a free and private legal consultation, contact Brent Wieand at (800) 770-3497 today.
Common Types of Elder Abuse in Rehab Centers
Though nursing home abuse receives more news coverage, the neglect and abuse of seniors in rehab centers is an equally dangerous problem. Elderly patients who enter rehabilitation centers come with hopes of improving their health, yet many leave in worse condition than when they entered. Similar to nursing homes, rehab centers put caregivers in close and frequent contact with patients, creating countless opportunities for abusive staff members to injure, exploit, or sexually abuse those who depend on them.
There are three main categories of abuse that occur in rehabilitative centers for the elderly:
- Physical and Mental Abuse Physical abuse involves acts of violence or corporal punishment, such as kicking, punching, slapping, beating, or shoving a patient. Intentional overmedication, intentional withholding of medication, and medically unnecessary use of sedatives also constitute elder abuse. Yelling and verbal intimidation of the elderly can be equally as harmful to a senior’s mental and emotional health.
- Sexual Abuse Sexual abuse can take the form of rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, unwanted touching, forcing the patient to be photographed in explicit ways, or forcing the patient to perform degrading or sexual acts.
- Financial Abuse Financial abuse is the exploitation of a patient’s financial resources, like bank accounts or assets. For example, a care worker might coerce a patient into signing a document, signing a check, or making a purchase. Care workers may also steal residents’ possessions or money.
Neglect is another widespread problem that, like abuse, violates patients’ rights and frequently leads to serious health problems. Unlike abuse, which is intentional, neglect frequently results from understaffing, inadequate supervision, inadequate training, or lack of experience. Neglect is a failure to meet a patient’s medical needs, such as administering the wrong medication, or failure to reposition immobile patients to prevent the development of bed sores.
Claims Our Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
We are wrongful death attorneys and personal injury lawyers who have devoted much of our legal careers to representing senior citizens and their spouses or family members in settlements and lawsuits against nursing homes, assisted living facilities, group homes for seniors, and rehab centers for the elderly. We bring extensive knowledge and experience to every matter with the goal of recovering maximum compensation for our clients.
Types of injury and accident claims we handle on behalf of elderly individuals in rehabilitation centers include:
- Abuse and Neglect
- Back Injuries
- Bed Sores (Pressure Ulcers/Decubitus Ulcers)
- Broken Bones
- Broken Hip Injuries (Pelvic Fracture)
- Burn Injuries
- Cuts and Bruises (Lacerations and Contusions)
- Dehydration and Malnutrition
- Fall Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Medication Errors
- Mismanaged Diabetes
- Organ Damage/Organ Failure
- Scald Injuries
- Scarring and Disfigurement
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Wrongful Death
Suing a Rehabilitation Center for Negligence
A rehabilitation center may be liable for an elderly patient’s injury, infection, wrongful death, sexual abuse, or financial abuse if the rehab center breached its “duty of care” (duty to avoid causing harm), thus causing injury, illness, infection, death, or financial harm that could have otherwise been avoided. When this occurs, the facility at fault is said to be “negligent.” This can occur in many ways, such as:
- administration of the incorrect dose of medication or improper medication;
- failing to provide medication as necessary;
- unsafe and unsanitary conditions, which can lead to illness, infection, or accidental falls; or
- negligent supervision, inadequate training or mistakes made by unqualified employees.
If a rehab center’s negligence causes harm to a patient, such as the examples on the list above, the facility may be required to provide financial compensation to the victim. This may include compensation for:
- Funeral and burial expenses, in cases involving death.
- Medical bills related to the injury or death.
- Pain and suffering related to the injury or death
- Financial losses related to the injury or death
In many cases, personal injury cases are resolved through settlement or alternative dispute resolution. However, when the sides cannot come to an agreement, it may be necessary to try the case before a jury. Our legal team will begin meticulously preparing for a jury trial from day one. This includes consulting with and retaining top notch medical experts to help prove your case in court.
Rehab Center Abuse Attorneys for Seniors
Brent Wieand is proud to be fierce legal advocates for seniors who have been neglected or abused at rehab centers, group homes, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, or other long-term care facilities for the elderly. If your parent, grandparent, spouse, or other loved one suffered an injury, developed a bed sore, or was killed by a medication error, neglect, or unsafe conditions at a rehabilitation center for senior citizens, our attorneys are ready to fight for compensation. Even more importantly, we are ready to fight for justice for your family.
To discuss your rehab center injury claim in a private, cost-free, no-obligation consultation, contact our rehab center abuse lawyers at (800) 770-3497 today.